Hosepipe ban despite flood warning

Posted: Tuesday 20th July 2010

A hosepipe ban was still in place in the Lake District on Tuesday despite a flood warning in the area.

Torrential rain over the past few days has put Cumbria at risk from flooding, according to the Environment Agency.

A flood warning was issued for the Keswick campsite area on Monday, meaning flooding of homes and businesses is expected. Several other areas are under flood watch, with more heavy downpours predicted in the coming days.

The Upper River Derwent, Stonethwaite Beck and Derwent Water, the rivers Brathay, Rothay and Winster and the rivers Kent and Bela have all been put on flood alert.

But the hosepipe ban, which was introduced on July 9, will stay in place because even more rain is needed for the reservoirs to make a full recovery.

Much of the rain has simply started to wet the ground that had completely dried out due to the driest seven months on record, a spokesman for water company United Utilities said.

He said: "We're monitoring reservoir levels on a daily basis and we will lift the hosepipe ban as soon as all reservoirs recover to normal.

The spokesman added that there is more rain forecast for the region, which is "welcomed to bring the driest start to the year back into balance".

The company has so far written to more than 70 people across the North West who have continued to use their hosepipes to water their gardens and wash their cars. Those who continue to ignore the ban could face a 1,000 fine and court action.




Read the magazine online

December 2018

About the magazine »
Magazine archive »


Advertisements

Information for advertisers »

Sykes Pumps
Verder Prominent Fluid Controls Water Aid Huber buttonwood marketing Harvey Communications Pulsar Button June 13 British Water wateractive
NO DIG 2018